Effective April 1, 2019, the retail sales tax collected on transactions within the City of Spokane Valley is 8.9 percent (0.089). The retailer forwards that sales tax to the Washington State Department of Revenue, which then distributes the taxes to the various agencies that have imposed them.
This is how the tax is allocated:
- State of Washington: 6.50%
- City of Spokane Valley: 0.85%
- Spokane County: 0.15%
- Criminal Justice (Spokane Valley receives a portion of this tax): 0.10%
- Spokane Public Facilities District (v): 0.10%
- Spokane Transit Authority (v): 0.80%
- Public Safety (Spokane Valley receives a portion of this tax) (v): 0.10%
- Juvenile Jail (v): 0.10%
- Mental Health (v): 0.10%
- Law Enforcement Communications (v): 0.10%
(v) - voter-approved
When you file a Washington Combined Excise Tax Return for retail sales transacted within the City's boundaries, use the City's 4-digit location code #3213 in Section III of the return form. The Spokane Valley local rate is 2.4 percent (.024) which reflects the combined total of the local jurisdictions in the chart above.
It is important to accurately record your sales tax collections so the appropriate sales taxes are allocated to help provide City services. If you have miscoded your rate on a previous return, or have questions, please contact us at 509-720-5041.