Discovery Playground is now open for the season! Enjoy!
Located at beautiful Mirabeau Point Park in Spokane Valley, this multi-sensory Discovery Playground is an accessible place where people of all ages and abilities can play, learn and discover.
A community gathering place, it offers opportunities for building healthier bodies, expanding knowledge and building new relationships with family, friends and the community.
ALL PARK RESTROOMS ARE SEASONAL AND ARE CLOSED OCTOBER 16 - APRIL 14.
SPLASH PAD OPERATES MAY 15-OCTOBER 15, from 10am-8pm.
Discovery Playground has two small shelters outside the playground perimeter fencing available for reservations: Shelter #1-West and Shelter #2-East.
SET TIMES ARE: 10am-12pm / 1pm-3pm / 4pm-6pm
Picnic shelters inside the playground are unavailable for reservations; enjoy on a first-come, first-served basis.
As with all our parks, playground hours are 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (October 16 - April 14) and from 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. (April 15 - October 15), and there is no admission fee.
Per SVMC 6.05.070, pets are not permitted on any designated picnic area or play area, which includes Discovery Playground (except for service animals.).
Children must be supervised.
About Discovery Playground
Discovery Playground is one more element fulfilling the dream of those who envisioned Mirabeau Point as a multi-use community campus for public recreational, educational and entertainment activities.
Located near the Spokane River just north of I-90 and east of Pines Road, Mirabeau Point Park is the site of Mirabeau Meadows, Mirabeau Springs, and the Mirabeau Trails Natural Area. It is home to CenterPlace, Spokane Valley’s premier regional event facility, which also houses the Spokane Valley Senior Citizens Center. Located nearby are the Spokane Valley YMCA and the Centennial Trail. Served by STA Bus Route 32.
A Place of Discovery
Features in the Discovery Playground are designed to provide accessible and imaginative learn-and-play activities for a variety of ages and abilities. Using sight, sound, scent and touch, the elements of the playground are designed to provide activities that support physical, educational and social development. A variety of inviting gathering areas will accommodate individual, family and group activities.
Exploring Eastern Washington
Designed around the theme “Exploring Eastern Washington,” Discovery Playground provides outdoor educational opportunities where classes and groups can pursue physical, earth and life sciences, and health and fitness education.
Discovery Playground Features Include:
- Sun Gateway and Basalt Boulder Play
- Gathering plaza, climbing boulders and a bridge over a dry creek bed
- Steelhead Trout River Bed "Splash Pad"
- Basalt water sprays, trout sculptures, seating and jumping water jets
- Fossil Maze
- Herb garden, fossils, benches and a raised planting bed
- Outdoor Classroom
- A quiet group gathering area
- Secret Garden
- Wavy walk, bridge, larger-than-life objects, vine tunnel and sensory plantings
- Bear Den Sand Play
- Bear den, sand pit, water spigot, and raised sand table
- Big Horn Sheep Challenge Steps, Double Slide and Sensory Garden
- Shallow and steep steps with wrap-around garden, and sculpture/seating/talk tubes
- Eagle’s Nest Observation Deck
- Watershed and salmon wall, glacier rock slide, climbing wall, swings, spinners, fish climbing sculpture and boulder seating
- Elk Valley Picnic Plaza
- Shelter, tables, seating, boulders, sundial, fossils and split rock
- Musical Elements
- Musical elements in seating nooks with a larger musical area
- Features Eastern Washington flora with a variety of scents, textures and colors
- Discovery Pavers and Hidden Walk
- Educational pavers leading along a pathway